Many cosmetic procedures are still firmly grounded in the domain of women. More women than men are still having cosmetic treatments, and the idea of men going under the knife or having other procedures still remains taboo. Men are not supposed to worry about their looks as much as women, at least, that’s what society tells us.
At the same time, trends are changing. More and more men are getting many different cosmetic procedures done. The taboo is slowly lifting and men are feeling more comfortable seeing a plastic surgeon to smooth out the rough spots in how the man looks.
Botox is one of those treatments men are seeking out in higher numbers. Botox works by relaxing specific facial muscles that are causing the wrinkles. When these muscles relax, existing wrinkles go away and new wrinkles are prevented from forming. This means that getting regular Botox injections is also a preventative step men can take to ward off an aging face.
However, there are myths about Botox that are keeping many men away from the simple treatment. Here are some of those myths:
- The face will look “frozen” after Botox. If the treatment is done by a highly experienced, licensed plastic surgeon, it will not be obvious that you had Botox injections. Instead, your skin will look smooth, healthy and natural. The goal of Botox injections is to make your face look
- Botox takes too much time. Botox is probably one of the fastest treatments cosmetic surgeons offer. Depending on the part of the face being treated, you can be in and out in ten to twenty minutes. Best of all, there is no downtime after a treatment, so you’re free to resume your normal activities. Most men will need to have injections about every four months. This is a cosmetic procedure that can fit into any schedule.
- Botox is dangerous. Botox has been around since the 1980s when it first received FDA approval for a variety of uses. In 2002, Botox was approved by the FDA for the treatment of facial wrinkles. This treatment is very common and has been studied for decades. As long as you receive your Botox injections by an experienced licensed plastic surgeon, then you can feel comfortable knowing that the risk of even minor complications is minimal.
- Botox can give you botulism. Botox comes from a protein that is derived from the botulinum toxin. While the botulinum toxin can cause massive damage to the body if the bacteria is ingested, Botox remains localized to the injection site in the skin. A qualified doctor knows exactly where and how to administer the Botox to give you safe and effective results.
- Botox injections are painful. While everyone has a different tolerance to pain, the amount of pain caused by these injections is more like a pinch than an immunization shot that you’re used to. The needle used is very thin because the amount of liquid injected into the skin must be precise. Further, the needle isn’t going all the way through the skin like with other shots.
There are a lot more myths surrounding Botox injections, but the above five seem to be the most common ones that prevent people from getting this highly effective treatment.
If you’re interested in getting a Botox treatment, call us today to schedule your appointment. Whether you’re a man or a woman, you’ll be put at ease and made comfortable the moment you walk through our doors. Our doctors are board certified cosmetic surgeons and are the best in the business, so you can rest assured that your Botox treatment will be administered safely and that you’ll be very happy with the outcome.