Everyone wants healthy looking skin. Healthy skin can make you look younger, give you a nice glow and even protect you from diseases like skin cancer. Part of keeping your skin in top condition is regularly cleaning out your skin pores and exfoliating all the dead skin cells that can accumulate over time.
So what are skin pores and why do they cause us so much trouble? First, pores are important to our overall skin health. They allow oil produced by the sebaceous glands to make its way to the skin surface to keep the skin hydrated. The bad part is that pores can become clogged with dirt, grease and even bacteria. When the pore becomes infected, we get the dreaded pimple.
The goal of skin care is to keep those pores clean and empty so the body’s natural oils can do their job.
Skin care begins at home
There are some easy ways you can take care of your facial skin at home.
- Keep your skin clean. The easiest way to do this is by simply rinsing your face off with warm water. You only need to do it once a day. If you wash your face too much, you can actually do more harm than good.
- Exfoliate your skin. There are dozens of products on the market to do this, so it might take some experimenting to find the right one. But when you exfoliate your face, you’re cleaning off all the dead skin cells and other gunk that can clog your pores.
- Use a skin cleanser. Find a cleanser with salicylic acid. This not only cleans away the dead skin cells, but it will also reduce the amount of oil on your skin. Use sparingly, as it can dry your skin out too much.
For more advanced care…
So you find a good skin care routine. But your skin still doesn’t look as healthy as it should. This is when you seek the help of a professional aesthetician. Here are a few ways they can really make your skin shine.
- Facial. This is a personalized skin treatment. Your aesthetician will determine your skin type, and then begin treatment with a gentle cleanser. Then your skin will be exfoliated, using steam to soften the skin and open the pores. The mask itself is applied which will enrich and rejuvenate your skin. Between these steps you’ll get pampered with a facial and hand massage.
- Microdermabrasion. This procedure uses an abrasive tool that removes the very top layer of facial skin, revealing a younger, healthier looking skin underneath. Microdermabrasion also gets rid of all those yucky dead skin cells that tend to build up.
- Chemical peel. The chemical peel uses varying products that gently exfoliate your skin and clean out the pores. The benefits of chemical peels are that it only takes about 30 minutes. You can have one done on your lunch hour!
Have problems with clogged pores and oily skin?
Jefferson Facial Plastics is here to help. Aside from our wide variety of treatment options, we will also advise you on the best way to care for your skin at home. Our professional, friendly staff will make you feel welcome from the second you walk through the door. Call us today for an appointment to get your skin looking its very best.