No matter how hard you try to take good care of your skin, it’s inevitable that age, sun and lifestyle will begin to take their toll. And nowhere on your body is it more obvious than your face, which is front and center in every interaction you have. We all want to look our best, but sometimes our regular skincare routine isn’t enough. We need some extra help.
One procedure that can give you a new, fresh look is called microdermabrasion. When used on the face, microdermabrasion can make patients look younger and healthier without major plastic surgery.
What is microdermabrasion?
In simple terms, this treatment exfoliates the very top layer of skin, revealing a new layer underneath that is undamaged. To achieve this, the esthetician at Jefferson Facial Plastics uses a special diamond tip wand. The wand acts as a polisher, gently removing dead skin cells. In addition to the wand, suction is also used, vacuuming up all the dead skin cells for a more effective treatment.
What are the benefits of microdermabrasion?
There are a lot of benefits to this treatment. Some of them include:
- Exfoliation of the top layer of skin. This reveals healthy, younger looking skin underneath.
- Clean out clogged pores. Dirty, natural body oil and sweat can clog our skin pores. The result is acne and skin that is dull.
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Wrinkles naturally form as we age. Microdermabrasion can greatly reduce these to the point where they are no longer noticeable.
- Erase mild acne scars. Note that microdermabrasion will not treat deep scar tissue or birthmarks. But mild scars, like the ones caused by acne, can be erased.
- Smooth out mild problems with complexion, like uneven pigmentation. Sometimes our skin tone looks uneven for a variety of reasons. Microdermabrasion can smooth out these uneven spots, giving your skin a naturally even tone.
- The benefits can be seen almost immediately. Unlike plastic surgery, where you have to wait possibly months for the skin to heal and swelling to go down, you’ll see how great your face looks after leaving the office!
Other big benefits of this treatment include the fact that it’s a non-invasive treatment that takes very little time to complete. Microdermabrasion is often called a “lunchtime facial” because it can be performed during your lunch hour. Further, there is virtually no recovery period after the treatment, allowing you to get back to your life after leaving the office.
Possible side effects
Microdermabrasion has very few side effects. The biggest side effect is some redness in the treated area, similar to what you’d see with mild sunburns. The esthetician will give you instructions on how to care for your face after the treatment is over. This may include everything from applying some lotion to your face, to staying out of the sun for the next few days.
Am I a good candidate for a microdermabrasion treatment?
Most people can get a microdermabrasion with no problems. But only a qualified healthcare professional, such as a dermatologist or an esthetician, can tell you if this treatment is right for you. However, there are a few conditions that will disqualify patients, such as herpes outbreak, warts, uncontrolled diabetes and autoimmune disorders. This means it’s imperative to be honest with the medical staff about your medical history to avoid any complications from the microdermabrasion treatment.
What are you waiting for?
Microdermabrasion is a wonderful way to pamper yourself, feel good and look even better. The treatment is quick and easy, and can be done during your lunch break. Call us today to make an appointment for your treatment. We’ll show you the Jefferson Facial Plastics difference. Once you experience our high level of care, you’ll keep coming back for more.